Constructed in 1909, Chemical Engine House 44 once housed the Hill Company who protected the citizens living in the working class neighborhoods of Noe Valley and Eureka Valley. The McSheehy Brothers built the two-story stucco firehouse in the Mission Revival style in the years after the great 1906 earthquake and fire. The building once included a stable for the horses and buggies that raced to fire alarms but in 1916 the first motorized apparatus, an American LaFrance Type 12 Chemical and Hose Car, arrived signaling the conversion from stable to a modern motorized garage.
In 1959, the fire department sold the now obsolete Chemical Engine House for less than $15,000 to Mark and Beth Adams who converted the property into their home and artist’s studio. In 2009, Teutonic Construction, Garavaglia Architecture, and interior designer Josephine Fisher transformed the old firehouse into a contemporary masterpiece. Behind the façade and magnificent old copper doors, resides a 6,700 square-foot home of natural light, glass and reclaimed wood. And yes, the old steel spiral staircase and brass pole are still there.