Durable Goods Orders (September 2013)
– New Orders Overall (Month/Month) +3.7% Previous was +0.2%
– New Orders Overall (Year/Year) 7.4%. Previous was +13.8%
– Ex-transportation (Month/Month) -0.1%. Previous was -0.4%
– Ex-transportation (Year/Year) +5.6%. Previous was +7.3%.
While the overall number is positive because of aircraft orders, those orders are volatile and the ex-trans number indicates flat manufacturing. The inability to produce manufacturing jobs is part of what is preventing economic growth.
Consumer Sentiment (October 2013)
– University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment – 73.2. Previous was 75.2.
This is supposed to measure consumers’ predisposition to spend.