Chain Store Sales (week ended 5/11/2013)
ICSC-Goldman Store Sales
– Store Sales Week/Week -2.0%. Previous was -1.0%
– Store Sales Year/Year +1.2%. Previous was +2.4%
– Store Sales Year/Year change +2.8%. Previous was +2.3%.
This is another case of these weekly running surrogates for the Commerce Department’s Retail Sales giving opposite indications.
The Consumer Metrics Institute Absolute Demand Index (http://www.consumerindexes.com/) is a near real time measurement of online shopping for discretionary items and has been trending down for the past 8 days.
Import and Export Prices (April 2013)
– Export Prices Month/Month -0.7%
– Export Prices Year/Year -0.9%
– Import Prices Month/Month -0.5%
– Import Prices Year/Year -2.6%
Import and Export prices have been flat for 12 months. This is symptomatic of recession in the EU and slow growth in the U.S. Demand is soft.
NFIB Small Business Optimism Index (April 2013)
– Index Level 92.1. Previous was 89.5.